Nazareth House Camberwell was founded in 1929
on an 18 acre site which had formerly been a violet farm.
Permission was given to construct a house, kitchen, oratory and sheds on the property and in September 1929 the new building accommodating 20 residents and Sisters was blessed by Archbishop Mannix.
There was strong demand for nursing care beds. Plans were made to construct a permanent building, and the foundation stone was laid in 1933.
In 1948 the foundation stone was laid for a new wing to accommodate children. The Sisters' ministry of caring for and educating children continued at Camberwell until the 1990's.
A major upgrading of Nazareth House Camberwell was completed in 1998.
A masterplan is being prepared for the Camberwell site, in the hope that we can develop a Community of Care offering independent living units, a market place, various community services, and residential care for those who wish to become part of our Nazareth community. The chapel and convent will always be at the heart of any Nazareth community.