In January 1905, six Sisters of Nazareth arrived in Christchurch from England
to open a Nazareth House at the request of Bishop Grimes who was concerned about care for the elderly in Christchurch and orphaned children who required care.
The foundation stone for Nazareth House was laid in 1907, and the House opened in June 1910.
Later, a land and residence was purchased in Halswell for the care of children, and that ministry continued until the last children left Nazareth House in the mid 1980's.
In 1986, work on a new single storey Nazareth House residential home commenced. The new Nazareth House opened in 1987, and replaced the original building which had become unsafe after several earthquakes.
The facility and original chapel were irreparably damaged in the 2010 and 2011 Christchurch earthquakes, and in 2012 the aged care facility, convent and chapel were demolished.
A new Nazareth Community of Care is being built on the Brougham Street site.