Nazareth School San Diego, California, USA
A School with a Mission
Nazareth School is a school that not only enjoys a mission of its own, but shares the historical mission of its founders and an historical relationship with its neighbor Mission San Diego de Alcalá.
Early Beginnings 1924 . . . "The Orphanage"
Throughout its history Nazareth School has reached out to the San Diego County communities to meet the needs of its children. The story of Nazareth School began when the Sisters of Nazareth arrived in 1924 to take over a small house located at 3779 Georgia Street known as “The Orphanage.”
"The Children's Home" . . . with a Mission
Around this time, the Sisters of Nazareth visited the site of California’s First Mission as the Bishop had hoped the Sisters might be able to use the buildings last used as a Native American School. Finding the buildings beyond use (Mission San Diego de Alcala was rebuilt in 1931), plans were developed by the Sisters of Nazareth for a new Children’s Home built on the land next to the existing Mission grounds.
Formal dedication of "The Children's Home," as it was subsequently called, followed the next year. Since the opening of the First Nazareth House and School in America, the care and education of children have taken place at this site.
From Boarding School to Day School
In the 1960’s, Nazareth School became a school community providing foster care and was considered a boarding school. In September of 1970, in response to a request by the Bishop of San Diego, our current Nazareth School facility was dedicated as a coeducational day school. In August 2010, Nazareth School was incorporated as its own entity, Nazareth School of San Diego, Inc.
The school, however, is still owned and supervised by the Sisters of Nazareth. During its 85-year-plus history, Nazareth School has experienced many changes. It has grown from an orphanage associated with the adjacent Mission, a foster care and boarding school, to a day school that educates children from preschool age to eighth grade.
The curriculum has grown in sophistication and the co-curricular opportunities have grown during this time as well, but that which has remained consistent is the commitment to the mission of providing children with a strong awareness of their faith and a sound academic education that will enhance their ability to contribute to the needs of our ever-changing world.